Skip to Content

If I Earned Less This Year Than I Did Last Year, Can I Modify My Child Support Payments?

Serving Families Throughout Bend
Child Support

This year has been a rollercoaster, to say the least. During the pandemic this year, you may have lost your job or had a substantial income decrease compared to last year. As a result of this, you may have had to make life changes to have sustainable finances.


If this has indeed happened to you, there may be some adjustments you can make to your child support to help you through these times.


What Makes Me Eligible To Change My Child Support Orders?

The Oregon Department of Justice has said that in order for modifications of child support to be made, you need to have proof of significant changes since the last order was finalized. The examples that the Oregon DOJ gives as required proof of changes are as follows:

  • physical custody of the child has changed

  • needs of the child have changed

  • number of children involved has changed

  • the income of one or both parents has changed


If you are facing another significant life-changing circumstance that is not listed, it may be taken into consideration when you apply for the change in child support. You may be able to read more about the process here.


Each step in the process of changing child support takes roughly 30 days. As a result, the whole process usually takes anywhere from 90 to 120 days. Depending on what provisions you need to be amended and whether a judicial modification is necessary, this process could take longer.


Need Help With Child Support

If you are confused or need help with child support, one of the best options is to find an attorney in family law. Here at Baxter Law, LLC we manage all different types of family law cases and can handle anything thrown our way no matter how complex. Call (541) 238-9210 to get started today!